The Right Questions at Your Fingertips April 18, 2016
Now that you and your fiancé have sat down together, prioritized your desires and decided on your budget, it is time to start booking!
Many vendors list their packaging and pricing on their website. Before you start making calls, be sure to do your research. You’ll be able to evaluate the vendors within your budget and read reviews to see if they provide the services you’re looking for. This will save you a LOT of time!
The important thing to remember once you start calling is which questions to ask to make sure you get the services you want. This is where we come in: Sounds Unlimited knows weddings and we know how to customize. Based on the conversations we’ve had with our clients, listed below are some initial questions to ask your vendors, and more specifically your DJs!
General questions to ask:
1) Do you have our date available?
2) How far in advance do we need to book with you?
3) What is the cost of your service and what does it include?
4) Do you require a deposit and is it refundable?
5) *If not on their website* Do you have any references or reviews available?
5 important questions to ask your DJ:
1) How many weddings will the DJ that works my wedding have DJ’d during their career? Are you sitting with a slick talking salesman who plans on sending an inexperienced DJ to your wedding? You need to ask! It is important that you ask the number of weddings experience your DJ has as opposed to years of experience. You could be sitting with a 20 year veteran who has never DJ’d a wedding in his life, or a DJ with two years of experience and 100 weddings under his belt. You want a DJ who has experience with lots of weddings so he/she can offer suggestions for the big day, as well as ways to help it run smoothly the day of.
2) Have you DJ’d a wedding at our venue before? If not, are you willing to make a trip there before hand? If your DJ has not been to the venue before, he/she should be willing to visit the location to evaluate and make suggestions regarding location of equipment set-up as well further materials that may be required.
3) Do you offer customized music based on our likes and dislikes? What other customized options do you offer and how do you handle requests? This is one of the most important questions you can ask. If you and your fiancé hate a certain genre of music and you do NOT want it played, then it should never be played. Simple as that. If you only want country music played all night because you guys love to two-step, then that is all the DJ should play. It’s YOUR day. We can’t stress that enough. Your DJ should be willing to sit down with the two of you, ask you questions about your day and get to know you. Sounds Unlimited matches the personalities of its clients with its DJs to ensure this.
4) Do you have more than 1 set of equipment? Essentially you are asking if the DJ has back-up. We all know that technology can have its tantrums; if your DJ has more than one set of equipment you can rest easy knowing you won’t find yourself without entertainment due to a technical malfunction 2 hours before the wedding. For example, Sounds Unlimited always brings 2 computers to the event ensuring that if one decides to act up, the other is right there with all of your custom music ready to go.
What other services do you offer? Very often you will find DJs willing to help with the structure of your evening, acting as MCs the night of, or event planners leading up to the big day. Your DJ should be able to provide suggestions for the flow of the ceremony/ reception and should be able to MC if so desired. Sounds Unlimited even offers MC training if you have someone who is nervous about taking the task on!
We know that planning your wedding can be overwhelming at times! But don’t forget that part of the excitement lies in the planning process. Have fun with it! We’ll be here to help along the way offering tips and tricks to help the day run smoothly.
Contact us to see how we can help you leading up to your wedding.
Your DJs at Sounds Unlimited Inc.